"This is what I do"
|Intent/what it means
"This is what Im trying to tell you"
|How to respond
What you can say and/or do:
1. Identify behaviour
2. Interpret behaviour
Please note: almost all of _____'s vocalizations mean something specific. You need to
use clues from whats happening around her to find out what shes wanting to
|1. Yelling, grunting, whimpering
||1a. in morning: wants to go in stander
||1. I hear you whimpering/yelling, etc.
2. I think that you want to go into your stander
3. Ill go and get it for you
|b. after being in chair/stander awhile
||1b. uncomfortable/needs position change
||1. I hear you yelling/grunting etc
2. I think that you would like to sit in your chair/lie down.
3. Ill go get your chair/sidelyer
|c. in chair or stander without tray
||1c. wants her tray on
||1. I hear you yelling/grunting
2. I think you want your tray on.
3. Ill get it for you
|d. tray on-no toy
||1d. wants a toy, or a different toy
||1. I hear you yelling/grunting, etc.
2. I think you would like a toy or a different toy
3. How about this toy?
|e. noone around
||1e. wants to be with other people
||1. I hear you......
2. I think that you dont want to be by yourself
3. Come over here with......
||2. Brace is bothering her.
||1. I hear you whimpering _____
2. I think that you want your brace loosened
3. Here, Ill undo your straps a bit
||3. Extreme pain or scared
||1. I can hear you crying ______
2. I can tell that you are scared/in pain
3. Lets do ____ to make it better.
|4. Half laughing, half crying
||1. I hear you half laughing, half crying
2. I can tell that you miss ____ or are scared of ____
3. Youre ok. ______is here (or Ill call mommy)
|5. General vocalizations in response to
something (person entering area, hearing a noise)
||5. Look at that, Hi Im here
||I. I hear you _____
2. Hi, ____ is here,
3.You heard that didnt you ______
|6. Single vocalization
||6. Calling attention to something (could mean
story/video is over, toy has fallen, where are you?)
||1. I hear you _____
2. You want a new story/video
3. Ill put _____on for you.
1. Eyes moving rapidly, head still/listening
|1. Recognizes sound
||1. I see your eyes moving.
2. I can tell that you recognize ____
3. Lets listen to____ or do _____again
|2. Eyes suddenly stop moving when she hears a
word, voice, story or song
||1. I notice your eyes are still
2. I can tell that you are listening, that is ____
3. Lets do ______some more
|3. Kept up or down, fixated
||3. Im bored. Ill be back in a
||1. I can see that your eyes are stuck
2. I can see that youre bored
3. Lets do ___________
|4. Fixed to far right
||4. Stretching, muscle spasm
||1. I notice that youre eyes are over to
2. I think that youre having a stretch
3. OK, lets do ______(current activity) some mor
|5. Appears to look down
||5. My hands feel something
||1. I see youre looking down.
2. I see that you feel something. That is ____
3. Lets touch it again.
1. Smiling in response to a question
||1. I see youre smiling
2. Youre saying yes you want____
3. Lets do/get that
|2. Upper lip raised on 1 side
||2. Im listening, you have my attention
||1. I notice your lip raised
2. I can tell that you are listening.
3. Heres what we are going to do now
|3. Full ear to ear grin
||3. Excited about a person/place/thing
||1. I see that huge smile.
2. I think that youre excited about_____
3. Lets go do that some more.
|4. Big smile with giggles
||4. Pleasing noise, or overtired
||1. I hear you giggling and see that big smile
2. I think that you like that sound, I think that youre tired
3. Lets hear that sound again, or Lets change your position/give you a rest
1. Arms fly up when moved
|1. Pain or startle
||1. I see your arms fly up
2. I can tell that that hurt, ouch, or surprised you
3. Ill move you slowly
|2. Arms fly up when she hears a sudden noise
(occasional extreme reaction: breathing becomes laboured, she remains tense-usually she
can be talked out of it.)
|2. Surprise or startle
||1. I see your arms fly up
2. I think that____surprised you. That is____
3. Lets explore the noise that you heard
|3. Arms fly up when in new equipment or strange
||1. I see your arms flying up
2. I can tell that you are worried about ___Its ok
3. You are in a new______
|4. Poking at or scratching arms
||1. I see you poking at your arms
2. I can see that you are upset
3. Lets lie you down/sit you up/have a cuddle/call mom, etc